Friday, May 26, 2023

I've Plateaued and That's Okay

I haven't improved in many areas in the last few years -- apart from learning how to play chess and becoming really good at selecting squares with traffic lights.

Pyscho Carabao, 8a

It'sonly predictable that I haven't bumped up my climbing grade. I have been lamenting that my wish for an 8b hasn't been answered.

Billy, a climber from Manila/Someplaceelse, noted that there's not really that many 8bs in the Philippines to begin with. His answer is so sensible that it didn't occur to me to think about it.

The Engagement, an 8b that I had the luck to try a few times.

In Cebu, where there are about 150 sports lines, I can only think of less than five 8bs (my estimate does not include the North Wall since I have very limited knowledge of the place and development continues to happen there.)

So I thought I'd give theCrag a quick check to see which crags in the Philippines have 8bs. I understand that theCrag may not have an exhaustive list of all the lines in this country. But I think it works for data sampling.

Crags and Number of 8bs

Kiokong: 0

Panay: 1

Luzon: 0

Cebu: 5

This list is incomplete and likely to be inaccurate. But's a good enough sample size to affirm my belief: I wish I had more money to do climbing trips.

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Bal Marsius