Sunday, July 28, 2024

Instead of Teaching Climbing, Why Don't We Teach "Body"?

PS: I've been writing lately because there's no one to speak my mind to.

You've probably been taught this way: This is a heel hook. Here's how you can do it.

I'm not sure if I have an upside-down brain but I prefer to teach a different way:

This is your foot, here's what you can do with it:

  • You can step with it (toe).
  • You can use it to pull your body towards a hold (heel hook).
  • You can use it get above a hold (rock over).
  • ; and
  • You can use it for counter balance (flag).

You can use your hips to:

  • Change direction
  • Put more weight on your feet (twist)
  • Reach further without pulling (again, twist); or
  • Generate power (by moving it away and back).

The material is the same. It's only a shift in language. But I've noticed that people respond better when you hold their hand as you walk towards an unfamiliar concept; instead of presenting an unfamiliar concept and unwrapping it in front of them.

Why Some People Struggle to Use Their Feet

I have some guesses but treat this as if I'm an Ancient Greek philosopher theorizing about the nature of the atom. Here we go:

  • Their ankles are weak. I guess this has something to do with their calf muscles.
  • They are uncoordinated. Yes, some people cannot sync the movement of their hands, body, and feet. They may step down on a hold before their weight is above it; then their feet pop. If you are one of these people, you're lucky you found a sport that will help you fix this disconnect. Believe in yourself!
  • Side note: When you see someone climbing effortlessly, they're actually not. There's always effort involved when you're grabbing tiny things while gravity is trying to pull you away from it. It's just that every bit of their body is working together in harmony so it creates the visual effect of effortlessness.

  • They are scared and can't think. Fear is always real: even if someone is two footholds above a 30-cm crashpad that covers the entire gym floor. I do respect this fear but I haven't found a way yet to discuss this with people who are new to climbing.

I take a lot of joy teaching how to climb because I'm helping people understand how their body moves. I think our bodies are important because it holds everything that defines us: our thoughts, emotions, and longings for the sunset.

Yes, our bodies do hold everything that defines us but it does not define us.

No comments:

Bal Marsius